Translate

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Iron Girl - Las Vegas

I was really excited to head to warm weather to compete in the Athleta Iron Girl triathlon in Las Vegas last weekend.  It was my last planned event of the year until a friend came up with just one more in December!  I’m a sucker for a destination race.

Photo: Saying until later to Lake Las Vegas...
The weather in Vegas was supposed to be in the 70s and it actually got up into the 80s. It did not disappoint. The event was held at the resort at Lake Las Vegas with reported water temperature of 68 degrees, however race morning it was 63.  Not a big deal except that we could not get in the water early so my first exposure was when they said “go”!  It took a few seconds to catch my breath but then I was off. It was a time trial start which I have not done in open water before. I got bumped around a little and then someone tried swimming between my legs. That was interesting!  There was a long transition distance but it had warmed up nicely and I was off on the bike. We immediately went into a climb and most of the course was very hilly. I took advantage of the few downhills, topping out over 30 mph at times. With about a half mile to the transition, my front tire flatted. First experience with that! I managed to stay upright and rode to transition but my heart was pumping pretty hard.  The run course was hilly as well with the first mile or so being a pretty good climb. I felt like I was running in quicksand but was pleasantly surprised with my run time at the end. I finished 5th in my age group of this all woman race and have something to shoot for next year. Yes, it is one that I will repeat! My friend, Darlene, did the Olympic distance and bettered her time from last year by over an hour! 

The Iron Nun, Sister Madonna Buder, was at the race and was competing. She is 83 years old and started doing triathlons in her fifties and has gone to the Kona World Championships. Pretty amazing and inspirational woman!

Overall it was a pretty great weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment