Translate

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Giving Back

13 years, 7 months, 21 days (but who's counting).

This is how I began my talk last night.  It was meant to be funny but maybe it's just accountant humor!  My cute niece, the social worker, had asked me months ago if I would speak at her recovery group.  The subject was sobriety and fitness.  I was honored and touched that she would ask me.  I promptly forgot about it until last week when she sent a reminder! (must remember to put EVERYTHING in my calendar!)  Anyway, I made it to the meeting and found out it was more than just a few people sitting in a room, it was a big event that had been planned out and I wasn't the only speaker.  The first person started and I got so excited, he was from a group called AddictIIAthlete.  I had never heard of them but definitely want to be involved.  They use physical fitness, mainly running, to help people work through their addictions and live in sobriety.  It was such an inspiring time to listen to several people tell their stories and successes.  The concept makes such great sense.  I love sharing my story on the chance that it will help even one person to know they're not alone.  Bottom line of my message is that "I can do hard things" and it is the reason I keep signing up for one more thing.

*update on my legs - I finally feel like my legs are apart of my body again and not fighting me. Day 4 after Mt. Nebo, just in time to run again.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment